NEW LOOK, NEW REPAIR PROCEDURES.
The rumors are true: The GR Supra is back, delighting driving enthusiasts and bringing a high-performing model back to Toyota’s extensive vehicle lineup. With this exciting entry comes a variety of technological advancements that you need to be aware of when a GR Supra comes into your shop.
It’s important to know that many of the common procedures for the 2020 GR Supra are very different from other Toyota models. You’ll need to refer to the appropriate diagnostic and repair information for every service and diagnostic procedure on this vehicle, which will soon be available in a web-based training module.
In the meantime, here’s a brief overview of what makes the 2020 GR Supra so special:
GR SUPRA HIGHLIGHTS:
- The doors, hood and front side panels are made from aluminum. During repairs, be careful not to bend these lightweight panels.
- Best practice: Don’t press down on the hood to close it. Instead, drop the hood from an appropriate height and allow gravity to latch it.
- Pull the hood release handle inside the interior two times to open the hood without getting your hands dirty. You won’t have to search for a secondary release under the hood.
- Various joining methods are used in the production of the GR Supra. While some of those joining methods are also used during collision repair, some collision repair methods differ from production assembly.
- GR Supra has four vehicle jacking points located near the front and rear rocker panels. The jacking points are made of plastic and are attached to stable areas of the body by clipped connections.
- Damaged or missing jacking point fixtures must be replaced before raising the vehicle on a hoist.
- To manually unlock the vehicle, there is a mechanical key in the ID transmitter that unlocks the driver’s door.
- Many fasteners are one-use items on GR Supra.
- Best practice: Read all the repair procedures available on https://techinfo.toyota.com, follow all the torque procedures, and replace fasteners as required in the repair manual.
- The GR Supra should be towed on a flat bed with all wheels off the ground.
The 2020 GR Supra is an all-new vehicle that incorporates state-of-the-art technology. When one comes into your shop, take the time to review the appropriate repair procedures so it’s fixed right the first time.
For everything you need to know about Toyota Genuine products, industry training and collision repair go directly to Toyota Collision Pros Magazine: https://www.toyotapartsandservice.com/collision-pros-magazine