THE BEST-SELLING CAR IN AMERICA IS BETTER THAN EVER
Toyota’s engineers and designers were faced with a daunting challenge: Take the best-selling car in America and make it even more appealing, attractive and functional, all while integrating cutting-edge safety and technology. The eighth-generation Camry has undergone a total transformation that delivers more excitement, performance and style, reestablishing itself as the standard in the mid-size sedan category.
The new Camry employs a TNGA (Toyota New Global Architecture) design platform, so it retains all of Toyota’s traditional values of superlative build quality and safety while adding an exciting owner experience that appeals to the senses.
- The 2018 Camry is available in ﬁve grades: L, LE, XLE, SE and XSE.
- The 2018 Camry Hybrid is available in three grades: LE, SE and XLE.
The Camry’s lower, wider stance and sensual athletic image take it in a futuristic new direction.
- Camry sport trim levels are instantly recognizable as different from the other models from as far as 200 yards away.
- Front end styling is accented by a mixture of LED and halogen beam headlights, with full LED lighting available on select models.
- Rear styling is accented by dramatic taillights, with LED taillights available on select models.
- Three new, vibrant exterior colors are available: Wind Chill Pearl (089), Brownstone (4X7) and Galactic Aqua Mica (221).
The redesigned interior provides a sporty cockpit-type environment that’s functional and futuristic with bold character lines and a unique mix of tones and hues.
The interior provides the driver with access to information via three interlinked displays:
- 10-inch color Head-Up Display (HUD)
- 7-inch multi-information display within the instrument cluster
- 8-inch audio/navigation/HVAC control panel integrated into the center console
The new Camry has an Electric Parking Brake that’s controlled by the Skid Control ECU. If the parking brake cannot be released electronically, use a 6-mm hex wrench to release the brake manually (refer to the repair manual for details).
Three new powertrains are available:
- All-new 2.5-liter inline-four-cylinder D-4S Fuel Injection
– 206 hp and 186 lb.-ft. of torque
– EPA estimate of 29 mpg city/41 mpg highway/34 mpg combined, which is a 26 percent improvement for combined mpg over the previous model
- New 3.5-liter V6 with D-4S Fuel Injection
– 301 hp and 267 lb.-ft. of torque
– EPA estimate of 22 mpg city/33 mpg highway/26 mpg combined which is an 8 percent improvement for combined mpg over the previous V6
- Next-generation Toyota Hybrid System (THS II) pairs the 2.5-liter, four-cylinder D-4S engine (176 hp and 163 lb.-ft. of torque) with two electric motors and a continuously variable transmission (CVT)
– Best-in-class fuel economy for the LE: EPA-estimate of 51 mpg city/53 mpg highway/53 mpg combined which is a 30 percent improvement for combined mpg over the previous model
– SE and XLE: EPA estimate of 44 mpg city/47 mpg highway/46 mpg combined – an increase of 21 percent for combined mpg.
- New variable cooling system includes an electric water pump, full variable oil pump, and a cooled Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system; this system uses Toyota Genuine SLLC (Super Long-Life Coolant)
- Non-hybrid models have a new Direct Shift 8-speed automatic transmission
- Air conditioning system uses HFO-1234yf refrigerant (same as the Tacoma)
- Battery: LN2/LN3 (EN Type) is similar to LN1 on Prius
- Rack-assist Electronic Power Steering
Every 2018 Camry comes standard with Toyota Safety Sense™ P (TSS-P), with the “P” standing for Pedestrian detection. This system includes:
- Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection (PCS w/PD) D ynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC)
- Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist (LDA w/SA)
- Automatic High Beams (AHB)
Select models are also available with Intelligent Clearance Sonar (similar to Prius), and also include Rear Cross Trafﬁc Braking (RCTB) system:
- Eight ultrasonic sensors (four front, and four rear) detect obstacles up to 13 feet away
- Intelligent Clearance Sonar (ICS) controls engine output and brake force to minimize low-speed collisions (under 10 mph)
- RCTB has two (left and right rear) sensors that detect approaching vehicles from the sides and controls engine output and brake force to minimize low-speed collisions (under 10 mph)
To reduce weight, the all-new Camry uses more high-tensile strength sheet metal along with an aluminum hood, and thinner body panels for the roof, hood, trunk lid, front and rear doors and front fenders (compared to the previous model). Although lighter, this new platform features a 30-percent increase in torsional rigidity over its predecessor. To increase joint rigidity, Laser Screw Welding (LSW) is used. And, to enhance body rigidity, special high rigidity urethane adhesive is applied to the windshield and rear window where it meets the body.
Camry XSE models offer a Midnight Black Metallic roof option mated to a choice of Blue Streak Metallic (2QQ), Celestial Silver (2PT), or Wind Chill Pearl (2PS) body colors.
When repainting a model with two-tone paint, refer to the opposite side to dimensionally match the paint scheme (visit www. crrtraining.com for additional details).
Additionally, there is a new removal procedure for the shift knob (refer to the repair manual), and the combination switch – headlight dimmer – has been revised for easier replacement.
Camry’s wiper and washer system offer several new features:
- When not in use, the wiper arms rest below the hood. To put the wipers in service position: hold the windshield wiper switch in MIST for two seconds or longer within 45 seconds after turning off the engine
- If the blade is stuck, the ECU can reverse the motor direction
- When either door is opened, the wipers stop automatically to prevent splashing (in AUTO position)
- To protect the wipers, failsafe conditions limit wiper operation in response to overheating, snow and excessive load
- Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) are available for communication faults.