Using the Right Paint in the Right Places
HOW, WHEN, AND WHERE TO USE ANTI-CHIPPING PAINT, TWO-TONE PAINT
To make a quality repair on a Toyota or Lexus, you’ll want to educate yourself first on specific information and precautions required for the vehicle at hand—including how to apply anti-chipping paint or how to handle two-tone paint. You’ll find these details in your Toyota and Lexus specific Collision Repair Manual under the “Work Notices and Precautions” section.
- The Collision Repair Manual will show the precise location that requires anti-chipping paint. Anti-chipping paint protects the body from damage due to dirt, gravel, and debris.
- Anti-chipping paint may be required in a variety of locations, including the hood, roof panel, front body pillar, rocker panels, wheel arches, and the doors.
- Certain areas may also require Soft-Chipping Primer.
- Certain areas may require Protection Tape.
- Anti-chipping paint is applied where needed, before applying the top coat.
- If anti-chipping paint is unnecessarily applied to an area, apply degreasing agent to a clean cloth and clean the paint off immediately.
- When a vehicle has a two-tone paint scheme, look for information in the “Work Notice and Precaution” section of your Collision Repair Manual. There, you’ll find information on specific locations, detailed dimensions on how to measure and mask, appropriate borders, plus any other specific instructions to ensure that the repair matches the factory two-tone paint.
A Work Notice and Precaution may also be published when a model uses a unique color or has unique painting instructions. Case in point: 2017-2020 MY 86 models are available in NBB (Solar Orange). New vehicle painting for that paint color is performed with the hood closed. So, when one of these vehicles comes in for repairs, there are special procedures you have to follow to ensure you return the vehicle looking like new.
The key is to research first, paint second. When you take the time to review the Work Notices and Precautions prior to the repair, that makes it easier to ensure each job is fixed right the first time.
ANTI-CHIP AND TWO-TONE PAINT
To ensure proper application, before applying anti-chip or two-tone paint to a vehicle, refer to the vehicle application specs found on TIS techinfo.toyota.com.